Monday, July 20, 2009

Some more on coffee

Since I haven't had any Starbucks in 3.5 days (a record! I think), here's a list of the places I've been killing time lately:

Chocolati on Greenwood: great espresso and truffles, good neighborhood place to hang out. Not much of a food selection beyond the dessert extravaganza.

Cloud City on Roosevelt: great espresso and lots of yummy yummy food across the board (snacks, breakfast, lunch, desserts). Can be uncomfortably crowded.

60th St Desserts on Sand Point: the dessert case will make you want to eat for days - try the farmhouse cookie, lemon bar or other fruity concoctions. Don't remember if I've had the coffee there, but it serves Caffe Umbria, which is yummy. I used to drink it at school. Tiny seating area and only one outdoor table, but usually not crowded. Oh, and it's NOT located at 60th, despite the name. When it stopped being all wholesale, it moved to 7401 Sand Point. Closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Victrola on 15th: great espresso, sometimes more food than others. Better for people-watching than concentrating (working, studying). Parking can be a pain.

Cafe Ladro (various - mostly lower and upper Queen Anne): not crazy about their espresso, which is rich (good) but not as smooth (bad) as some others. But a convenient place to hang out with free wi-fi that works most of the time. Good quiche and apple pie.

Places I want to try:

Vivace at its new(ish) location! (Now at 532 Broadway - by Jefferson and Minor.) I was very sad when everything good about Broadway (Piroshky, smoke shop, book store, Vivace) was razed to make way for a crappy new light rail station. Piroshky and Twice Sold Tales both moved to locations I'm not crazy about. I'm curious to see how Vivace made out. I loved the old building.

• The aforementioned Caffe Umbria: I don't generally like Pioneer Square, but am interested to see what this place looks like. Since its caffeine surges got me through 2 years at Trinity all the way out in Hartford, CT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home